Friday, February 8, 2013

Easiest DIY Laundry Detergent EVER!!

(photo from debt proof living)
 
I am super excited to bring two of the ingredients for this homemade laundry detergent back to Hong Kong next summer...I can buy the blue Dawn here.
 
I have seen many, many recipes for making your own laundry detergent, but I must confess, I had never tried any myself! There were two primary reasons: one was that I often paid close to nothing for store brands by combining coupons and sales, making the ingredients for the homemade detergent more expensive. The other reason was that many of the recipes involved grating and "cooking" bar soap, and that seemed rather messy, although I would have tried it if not for reason #1.
 
Fast forward to Hong Kong, and I find myself in the land of rare coupons/sales and ridiculous prices for detergent. I find myself frustrated every time I do laundry. (I mean, who wants to pay actual money for detergent when there are airline tickets to buy?!?) Then, I saw this recipe pop up on several frugal sites lately, and I realized this is the ticket for me. Bringing back a box of  Borax and washing soda next summer should supply enough detergent for the whole school year...and it is getting rave reviews from those who are trying it. I had often used Dawn in place of Woolite for delicates, so this recipe makes total sense. Here it is:
 
3 Tablespoons Borax
3 Tablespoons Washing Soda (NOT baking soda)
2 Tablespoons of original blue dawn
 
Put the first two ingredients in a gallon size container and add two cups of hot water. Mix until dissolved, then add the Dawn and fill slowly with water to reduce sudsing. This obviously produces a watery mix, and most folks are reporting using a cup to a cup and a half per load, depending on the size of your machine and the load size.
 
Easy! Let me know who tries this first!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment